Thursday, September 10, 2026

What Do You See? Field ID Tips - Part 1

Using Your Senses

In this three-part series, I'll explore ways you can increase your observation mojo and resources to help you in identifying what you see as you hike.

Birches in summer
While I'm a certified MN Master Naturalist volunteer, that doesn't mean I know ALL.THE.THINGS. It just means that I am willing to be a life-long learner in the natural world. Part of that learning goes on while I am on the trails during my various weekly hiking adventures. As the seasons turn and various flora and fauna go through their life cycles and nesting cycles, my eyes and ears are attuned to what I'm seeing and hearing.

The challenge for me, as well as for many of us, is figuring out exactly what I am seeing and hearing. You would think I would know every natural thing I see (and have seen) by now. But I don't. I'm STILL learning, as many of you are.

My slowly growing knowledge over the past four years is generalist in nature. I don't know it all but I learn bit by bit. First it was wildflowers; then ferns; then fungi, then rocks; then grasses; then bumblebees; then birdsong; then butterflies; and now dragon-and damselflies and trees.  Once I am comfortable with one form of plant, insect, rock or wildlife, I add another component to my generalist identification tookit that I want to explore.

So how do we get to know all the fascinating creatures and plant growth we encounter in our hiking? 

Here are a few thoughts and resources to get you started.

Start with What You Know
Maybe you are familiar with a few flowers. Make flowers your first focus as you begin to identify along the trail. Don't try to figure out all the things. Instead, consider it a conversation that you are having with nature. The more time you spend, with her the more you will get to know her.

Slow Down
Consider decreasing your speed and be ready to stop and really look at what catches your eye. When you slow, you often see things that you might have passed by before that open up a world of inquiry.

Look Widely
Take the time to observe both to your sides and above you as you hike. That's the first step, as it were, to to noticing what's on offer.

Harvestman on interruped fern
Look Closely
When something catches your eye, stop and observe it at close range. Whether it's a bug, the shape of leaf or petal, an insect, fungi or a gall, taking the time to really see can be your first step towards identification.

Look Even More Closely
Study the stems, petal number and shape, height, proliferation, color and other details of flowers. Note markings on insects and wildlife. Many of these small clues help you towards more exact identification.

Use Other Senses
Using caution and good sense, feel the stem, the mushroom top, the petal. See what you discover. Use your sense of smell to learn to identify particular plants. Listen closely to bird song and calls and you will begin to pick out and learn them. 

Hike with Curious Friends
More eyes produce more discoveries! Countless times on the trail someone spots something interesting that I have completely missed. Friends also alert me to the appearance of favorite flora, fauna and fungi they’ve seen on their hikes so I can head out to see them too. And best of all, as they share their nature expertise, I learn from them and sharpen my skills.

Take a Photo
Don't be afraid to capture the particualr quality that you caught your eye for later study or identification - or just to remind you of the wonder you've found. These photos and use of phone ID apps can be a huge help on the trail (see Part 2).

Carry a Notebook
Or make notes on your phone. Note your observations including identifying charateristics as well as sun exposure and direction that a plant is facing. What other plants are nearby that may give you clues to similar growth needs? Note the ecosystem as well. 

Tuck in a Field Guide
You can't carry all the things all the time, but take one light wildflower or bird guide in spring; a mushroom book in fall or one prairie plant ID book in summer. Nothing beats field identification (see Part 3).

Learning about native bees
Friends of the Blufflands hike

Guided Hikes
Take advantage of hikes guided by subject experts - birders, naturalists, rangers and other experts in the identification area you want to know more about. Their expertise helps you develop more of your own and leads you deeper into nature. You also learn fascinating tidbits that add to your enjoyment of what you see.

Verify Your Observations
Post-hike, take time to check field guides, apps, identification websites to give you assurance and confidence in your initial identification.

Make a List
Nature journaling and chronicling are time-honored practices. Keeping a phenology journal can be very helpful as well. You start to track the seasonal appearances of flora and fauna and it increases your knowledge.

Here is interesting short article that inspired me in my journey to knowing more. It has some great tips on hiking and observing and you might find it useful.

In the next two parts of this series, I'll be looking at using apps on and off the trail and post-hiking research sources.

Other posts in this series:
What Do You See? Field ID Tips (What's App) - Part 2           9/17/26
What Do You See? Field ID Tips (Hitting the Books) - Part 3   9/24/26


Images, unless noted - Marge Loch-Wouters

No comments:

Post a Comment