Monday, June 5, 2023

Get in Gear - Mosquito/Tick Attack!

As I mentioned in yesterday's "I Spy on the Trails" post, we had some mighty fierce mosquito and tick action on our hikes in northern WI this past week. While on the trails, we were prepared and so came out at the end of each hike in pretty good shape with few to no bites and only a tick or two on our clothes.

Everyone has a formula for success here - from drenching ourselves in bug spray to eschewing sprays and simply picking off ticks as we hike and after and not itching any mosquito bites gotten during the hike.

I'm a bit of a middle-roader here. Some chemicals, some clothes choices and always a post-hike body check. I'm a peace-of-mind kind of gal so prevention is high on my list of hiking comforts!

Here's the gear I rely on to keep me worry (and tick and mosquito)-free. 

First, the non-chemical

Image - Marge Loch-Wouters

Head net
over my hat. Newer nets almost make you forget you have a fine mesh in front of your face. My go to is a Sea to Summit bug net that is compact and can be carried in a pocket. With a cord at the bottom, it easily keeps bugs off you face and neck. It's a great non-chemical way to hike through clouds of skeeters.




Full gear both chemical and non-chemical
Image - Michele Besant
Rynoskin long- sleeve shirts, pants and socks
 -
I heard about these from a Canadian canoeist who did alot of spring canoe trips. You wear them under your clothes - the pants are more like light, long-undies. So no chemicals needed against your skin.  They are very light weight and have reinforced elbows and knees and have a tight band at wrists and ankles to prevent crawlers.

I rely on these in particular from March to mid-June when ticks are at their most active and I am apt to be on grassy trails or bushwhacking off trail. I will also wear them during summer evening/early morning hikes when mosquitoes are at their most active. My Rynoskins are light and white so the shirt gives me protection from the sun - and I can skip sun screen on my arms (for the win)!  While pricey, I haven't had ticks on my skin or mosquito bites through my shirt after a year of hiking with them.

Chemical Means to an End

Permethrin Spray - in March, we spray a light weight & light colored t-shirt, hiking pants, long sleeve weight & light colored shirt and grey sweatshirt. Those clothes we use only for hiking. The soaking lasts for about 6 weeks or 6 washes. We re-spray again after that. We also wash these in separate loads from our regular wash. The spray is very effective at deterring ticks and dampening the enthusiasm of mosquitoes. I do appreciate that I wear the permethrin clothes over my Rynoskin so no chemicals next to my skin.  You can also use the spray on your gear. 

Image - Marge Loch-Wouters

Tick gaiters
- my pair is permethrin-protected from Outdoor Research and I will use this ankle-height pair in short grass in high tick season especially if I plan to step off the trail (hello morels!). There are also knee high gators which are pricey but I am temped since I do some tall grass hiking in prairie areas.

Bug Sprays - Bug sprays containing DEET or picaridin are my go-to. Picaridin is less smelly and oily but I find either effective. I always spray my boots pre-hike during tick season (March-Oct). When it's too hot for the Rynoskin shirt and long-undies, I use sprays on my arms and face and hat and tuck my socks into my pants and give them a spritz too. On the trail, I carry a small bottle of bug dope in case I manage to sweat it all off .

In an April post I shared some pre- and post- hike tips that are less gear involved to help you prevent bug-latching.  Between preparation and prevention, you can almost hike worry-free!

What is your gear of choice or strategy that helps you avoid insect bites or at least grin and bear it? Share in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment